Monday 8 October 2007

Gloomy Not-so-Norma Poem

A Not so Norma Poem

Whose saint am I today and whose dog?
What bite has healed but not forgot?
Are what I said and what I meant the same?
Or should I take the burden of the blame?

The season's usual gloom creeps through the clouds.
Closed white sheeted windows block the sounds
Of hither thither people passing by
Fast-tracking to a place called "don't know why".

The glitter in the night by noon is dust.
The dress I wore, I wonder why I fussed.
And once upon ago a love so light
Now is hard to trust and out of sight.

Debauched--the debutantes in fancy dress.
Grasping glasses, cause a low distress.
Only for a moment more of passion.
Just one night--they think--it's more the fashion.

One bitter cocktail---morning turns to acid.
In the cabinet, taking pills to pass it.
Reach and check the mirror while you do.
Bathroom lights an unforgiving hue.

A sour mix of grapes too young for wine.
Time will pass and then you'll stand in line
To fill your empty stomach with some woe,
Unless somehow there's more to you than shows.

No comments: