Monday 8 October 2007

The Fridge


My Boy?
He with Tony again....Cannelloni Tony.
He servin' up steak today though
Followed by cartoons.
Want my boy to stand still?
Just turn the tv on.
Transfixed even by commercials.
Least I think they's watchin' cartoons...hmmm.
Don't want my boy taxin' his brain too early on.
Our house? We got a no tv policy.
Our tv's broke. I prefer it broken.

I be returnin' the favor---washed Tony's windows other day.
Now how was that?
Not too much work--only had to do the one winda'
Other one so dirtified, wouldn't open.
Couldn't move it. Took the scrub off the cleansing pad.
Never seen dirt so abrasive.
Tony say "no matter"...he get in a professional....and when?
Last cleanin'---his sister-in-law over from Italy.
One with the dead husband taped up next to the pin-up?
She on her hands and knees the whole time
If not cleanin', prayin'
"Have mercy on Tony Lord. He still got his space in Heaven?"

But he a givin' man...Know what he gave me yesterday?
Big bag of strawberries.
Did I eat 'em? Not right away.
In fact, a little too late.
Went all furry before I got em in the fridge.
My fridge---it off and on ---on and off
Like some people's relationships.
It back on today--top and bottom
Gave it a kick last night.
I ain't one to call no repairman.
If I can't do it myself, it done.

No comments: